Sunday, December 27, 2009



Duckhorn Merlot 2005:

After the last flop I felt I needed a strong come back. My setting, a quiet constructive evening with the wife, lasagna components and my first chance to use my new decanter . So I have been reading this book about understanding wine so I can better articulate my feelings for each wine even though I can’t read the pictures are great. The two things great about the decanter so far, pouring the wine looks cool and there is no top for it so the bottle must be finished in one sitting. So I will be using this al lot more in the future. I also learned that the decanter allows you to keep the sediment in the bottle. I now know what sediment is and that it has something to do with the age of the wine and how it was aged, pretty cool. So back to the wine, I chose this one because it was a special night and I have had this one in the past. In this pick I also shied away from a fancy label and went with a nice relaxing label soft on the eyes. I received this one from my membership to the Horne Cellars. I also felt that it would be a great wine to drink while I was playing with my meat. The meat was my mom’s recipe for meatball that were going to be apart of the lasagna for christmas day.
This wine I took a different approach to drinking it, I took my time. The usual bottle goes down fast and in about three and a half glasses, I’m a strong pourer. Smaller glasses had me appreciating the wine a lot more and it feels like the wine last more than 45 minutes. This red had a nice dark to light color profile and had my kind of legs, sexy and wide apart. This merlot had a beautiful 14.5% content which is always good in my book. What I noticed about this wine the flavor did not disappear as it went down. Making it a great choice with meat in one hand and wine in the other.

Until the end of the next bottle....

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment