Sunday, February 7, 2010

The six step program


Getting back to business I have a bunch of new tastes to share.  I was on a tasting frenzy and the above wines were part of my six step program.  Let me start with the Crane Brothers Syrah 2004 from Nappa Valley.  I really enjoyed the flavor of this one, the 15.5% content was what I needed to keep me warm from the cold and rainy weather outside.  Crane had a heavy flavor and deep color with an orgy of legs running down the sides of the glass. 
Keeping with the Syrah the next taste was Ballentine Petite Syrah 2006 from Nappa Valley.  This was my first Petite Syrah and I was anxious to see the differences.  This wine had a 90 point rating so I wondered if my tastes would be altered by a sticker, it wasn't.  The smell was vacant but had a spicy taste to the lips.  The color was lighter than Syrah, almost baby like.  There was nothing that made this wine stand out from the others in the past.  I would drink this one again with a meat or something heavy. 
Frei Brothers Zinfandel and Syrah both from 2007.  I have not been one to try the same make of any wine so far but something about men and their strong legs got my attention.  They both had 15% content and that always gives me a warm feeling inside.  The flavors were strong and fruitful and the legs of these guys reminded me of mens water polo, constently moving.
Lets get off..the men and talk about the Sangiovese 2008.  What I have noticed so far about this wine is that the content varies.  I have had every rang from Clydesdale to Shetland.  This particular Sany was a Shetland, holding hard at a 13% content but, I wasn't scared.  The wine setting was the night before heading to New Jersey for a short weekend with family.  So I was looking for a nice relaxing evening with the wife.  To me this wine was a simple, easy, and flavorful wine.  I might make a move from my Syrah kick to a Sangiovese crane kick(karate kid style).  So what I am trying to say is that I approve this bottle and raise a case.
Last bottle on this tour de horne is the Pozzan Zinfandel 2007.  I initially grabbed this wine because of prior experience with this maker.  Standing in at 14.9% The combination of the label and the content gave me hope.  Then the lead singer of live came over and sang "lighting crashes."  Thats about all I have to say about this wine.

Until the end of the next bottle...

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment